All school governors contribute to the work of the governing body in ensuring high standards of achievement for all children and young people in the school by:-
• Setting the school’s vision, ethos and strategic direction;
• Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils; and
• Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
A co-opted governor is a person appointed by the governing body and who, in the opinion of the governing body, has the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school. As a co-opted governor, the incumbent may have an area of specialist knowledge or experience or bring a wide range of skills and experience to your role as a governor.
As a co-opted governor, the incumbent will act in the best interests of the school and wider community and cannot be mandated to take a particular stance on issues.
As an effective Co-opted governor the incumbent will:
• support the aims of your school;
• visit and get to know your school;
• work in partnership with the headteacher, senior leadership team and other governors to raise standards and improve outcomes for all children;
• prepare for meetings by reading papers beforehand;
• take responsibility for their own learning and development as a governor including attending training;
• attend full governing body and relevant committee meetings promptly, regularly, and for the full time;
• read briefings and newsletters for governors;
• be loyal to the decisions made by the governing body;
• respect the confidentiality of governing body affairs;
• declare an interest and withdraw from any meeting where the incumbent, a partner or close relative or associate stands to gain, or where he/ she is so close to a matter discussed it is difficult to be impartial;
• have regard to the broader responsibilities as a governor of a public institution in regard to promoting accountability for the actions and performance of the governing body.
• Ann Clark – Chair of Governors
• Richard Farbon – Vice Chair and LA Governor
• Helen Dunbavin – Head Teacher
• Mike Forshaw – Link Governor
• Tracey Irwing – Parent Governor
• John Irwing – Parent Governor
• Mark Miller – co-opted
• Bill Hodgson – co-opted
• Lucy O’Kane – Teacher Governor